The objective of the overall project is to ensure the core services of the "Europeana Digital Service Infrastructure" (Europeana DSI) during the project and to provide online access to the cultural and knowledge heritage of Europe. Essentially, the Europeana platform and the portal created on it (Europeana Collections) are to be improved and operated. As a platform, the Europeana DSI provides consolidated and processed data from different designated communities in the fields of education, research and the creative economy. The general public is served primarily via Europeana Collections and its theme-based access possibilities.
The content of the project is based on the latest Europeana Business-Plan and Strategy 2020.
In its role as project coordinator and operator of the service point of the Deutsche Digitale Bibliothek (DDB), the German National Library has now joined the DSI consortium and is involved above all in the relaunch of Europeana Newspapers as a material-specific perspective within the overall Europeana Collections portal, and in the further development of cutting-edge technologies in the provision and use of high-resolution image resources (especially IIIF).
The consortium which operates and develops the Europeana DSI during the project consists of a total of 28 partners and is coordinated by the Europeana Foundation.
- Stichting Europeana (EF)
- 2Culture Associates Ltd
- Association des Cinémathèques Européennes ASBL (ACE)
- AIT Angewandte Informationstechnik Forschungsgesellschaft mbH (AIT-Graz)
- AIT Austrian Institute of Technology GmbH (AIT-Vienna)
- Archives Portal Europe Foundation (APEF)
- Athena Research and Innovation Center in Information Communication and Knowledge Technologies (AthenaRC)
- The British Library Board (BL)
- CLARIN ERC
- Stichting Digitaal Erfgoed Nederland (DEN)
- Deutsches Filminstitut – DIF e. V. (DIF)
- Deutsche Nationalbibliothek (DNB)
- Europeana Fashion International Association (eFashion)
- EUN Partnership AISBL
- Euroclio European Association of History Educators
- Facts & Files Historisches Forschungsinstitut Berlin (F&F)
- INESC-ID, Instituto de Engenharia de Sistemas e Computadores - Investigação e Desenvolvimento em Lisboa
- Stichting Nederland Kennisland
- James Lovegrove SPRL
- Michael Culture AISBL (MCA)
- Stichting Nederlands Instituut voor Beeld en Geluid (NISV)
- National Technical University of Athens (NTUA)
- International Consortium for Photographic Heritage Photoconsortium (PhotoCons)
- Instytut Chemii Bioorganicznej Polskiej Akademii Nauk – Poznańskie Centrum Superkomputerowo-Sieciowe (PSNC)
- Semantika, informacijske tehnologije, d.o.o.
- Stiftung Preussischer Kulturbesitz (SPK)
- University Court of the University of Glasgow (UGLA)
The University of Sheffield (USFD)Helmholtz Open Science Koordinationsbüro am Deutschen GeoForschungsZentrum GFZ
The costs for the project amount to EUR 8 million. The amount accounted for by the German National Library is EUR 53,750.
1 September 2017 – 31 August 2018
Last update: 12.12.2017